Tuesday, December 13, 2011

out and across

image by mostafa habibi courtesy of tess at magpie tales


secure inside the finest softest sand imagineable
my body washed by the memories of waves
i stood entirely still
my heart beating purely out of obligation

i was capable of being and doing
nothing more than was necessary

.

until one night

the moon
drew her body tight about the ocean
and running her fingers across it's liquid body
with greater conviction
and effect than usual
she caused the water to pull back layer upon layer of sand
until finally
by chance and happenstance
my eyes
were exposed
and an entire world
of sky and ocean expanded before me

i felt its fullness
in my own becoming self

and even now
as i gradually withdraw my body and my self
from the comforting clasp of the somnolent sand
i feel my heart beating
a rhythm it hasn't played for decades
and wish for nothing more than to feel
the simplicity of the sand between my toes.

6 comments:

Kay said...

'the simplicity of sand' truly wonderful steven..i am in awe..xx

steven said...

kay thankyou very much . . . !!! steven

The Bug said...

A beautiful awakening - I love this!

Tess Kincaid said...

The moon has this effect on me, too...I love the final "simplicity of the sand between my toes"...always a treat to see you at Magpie, my friend...

Dave King said...

Bringing life down to its simplest elements perhaps? Enjoyable.

Jingle Poetry At Olive Garden said...

incredible.