Wednesday, May 23, 2012

ryokan's words




first days of spring.....blue sky, bright sun.
everything is gradually becoming fresh and green.
carrying my bowl, i walk slowly to the village.
the children, surprised to see me,
joyfully crowd about, bringing
my begging trip to an end by the temple gate.
i place my bowl on top of a white rock and
hang my sack from the branch of a tree.
here we play with the wild grasses and throw a ball.
for a time, i play catch while the children sing;
then it's my turn.
playing like this, here and there, i have forgotten the time.
passers-by point and laugh at me, asking,
"what is the reason for such foolishness?"
no answer i give, only a deep bow;
even if i replied, they would not understand.
look around! there is nothing besides this.


4 comments:

Jinksy said...

Another example of living in the now...

Valerianna said...

YES!!

steven said...

ahhh jinksy . .. yes 'tis! steven

steven said...

valerianna - yes also! steven