Sunday, January 27, 2008

winter walking

among the growing list of features of my life that i have noticed are changing since i turned fifty last summer is my enjoyment of walking. i've always enjoyed it but i am really appreciating the time it gives me to refocus, to think about life, and to really attune myself to my surroundings. as a means of transportation it has turned out to be time-consuming but really excellent in other ways. i see things in more detail, i can take pictures of things that stand out for me, i keep up some of my fitness level as i am neither biking nor running, and i am keeping my personal commitment to minimizing my carbon footprint.

readers might reasonably assume that it is cold when i walk and i'll agree with you - the temperature is cold. the amazing thing though is that when i get to my destination i am invariably sweating. i have my hat and mitts off and wish that i had worn fewer layers of clothing. this is no revelation to cross-country skiers who have known this all along. i find that the snow conditions also impact on the speed of travel. often the paths i use are either unplowed or are just snow-covered enough to make the experience a lot like walking in sand. positively, a better workout. negatively, it takes more time and you're much more tired when you get there.

here are some pics i took last week while walking.

these tree branches seemed to be reaching out to me as i walked past them and indeed at that point i thought about curling up inside this particular grove for a nap . . .

i saw this plant and backtracked back to it. unfortunately i used the viewfinder to center the image and so it isn't quite right. but i like it all the same.

along the walk i took the other day up to trent university there are a lot of sumac. the remnants of their beautiful red flowers are still there and i saw this one with snow crystals on it . . . .

this last image is of a late january sky on the way home from work.

No comments: