Thursday, November 27, 2008

the lollipop

among the many sweets that have tickled the palate and fancy of the golden fish there is one that occupies a special place- no it's not my favourite sweetie - but it is one that when made properly and flavoured carefully (and with real flavour please!) can climb up pretty near the top of my fave list. the sweetie i refer to is the lollipop! which as you know is referred to on this side of the pond as "a sucker". lollipops have a bit of a history which begins either in the 1750's or the 1920's depending on who you believe.
millie small knew all about boys and lollipops and nailed the combo right here . . .
if you've always wondered how they make lollipops then read this. but if like me you're a foodie who loves to watch people make amazing food then you need to see chocolatier jacques torres as he makes a chocolate lollipop . . . . yummmmmmm!!!!
hey, wanna make a medicine-filled lollipop? you do?! then you'd better watch this . . .

and finally, from a dvd entitled minuscule comes this cute excerpt detailing a sort of "battle" between ants and flies over a lollipop . . .

3 comments:

Goldenrod said...

Ohhh, that 'battle' was just the most precious thing! And I love the way it ended with the spider on his swing - I'd like to use that for one of my "Lighten up" posts on down the road apiece.

You weren't one of those little boys who ran around with a sucker in his mouth, were you? That used to drive me almost mad with worry when I taught very young children.

steven said...

hi goldenrod -any time that i had a lollipop and was allowed to eat it. heck, anytime that i had candy of any kind, and i was allowed to eat it. it was in my mouth!!!!
i share your anxiety around kids and lollipops though whenever i am on yard duty at my school and watch the weebils wobbling around with a little white stick poking out of their mouth and i'm thinking "what if they fall?" and amazingly - they never seem to!!!

steven

Aleks said...

Hi lolipop papa,link is working via gmail not via coment on my blog,Its good ayway.Love this.