Sunday, September 21, 2008

david sylvian - september

when the world was ordered from a roman perspective, september was the seventh month of the year. september marks the beginnings of many things - school in much of the northern hemisphere, the beginning of the ecclesiastical year in the eastern orthodox church, and in the area i live in it marks the beginning of the earliest signs of the more pronounced weather changes that lead into winter.

the autumn has long been my favourite season with its mixed weather tending towards rain, the changing colours of plant life both on the ground and in the trees, not to mention the noticeable flurry of activity among the animals who respond to the cooler nights by stockpiling food and building dens. it has more of an emotional quality about it for me than the other seasons with a deeper memory set and a richer associative feel to it.

september is at once a time of regret for a summer gone and then also a time of apprehension of a sort with the coming of winter.

musician david sylvian captures this magically in his song september. a tone poem that, despite its shortness, nevertheless conveys a sense of the rich but fleeting qualities of the autumn.

the sun shines high above
the sounds of laughter
the birds swoop down upon
the crosses of old grey churches
we say that we’re in love
while secretly wishing for rain
sipping coke and playing games

september’s here again
september’s here again

6 comments:

Goldenrod said...

Interesting. The dissonance on the piano is a touch too predominant, but the contrast is overall quite pleasant. I wonder if he is a dreamer?

steven said...

hi goldenrod, an overcast morning with a bit of a breeze puffing through trees still mostly green. some leaves on the ground. squirrels gathering food. david sylvian a dreamer? most definitely. the golden fish a dreamer? most assuredly. david sylvian's music has provided colour and even direction for me for over twenty years now. his orchestrations and detailed use of the colours and nuances of acoustic instruments coupled with his voice are among the many reasons why i appreciate his music so much. i hope that houston is bouncing back after ike. it seems like you are.
steven

Goldenrod said...

I have a couple of squirrels in my backyard. They gather nuts year long here! (When I lived in the North, I thought they only did that in the fall.)

Can't say that Houston is 'bouncing' back, Steven. More like 'crawling' back in supplication. In retrospect, I was one of the really lucky ones. There are still a million people in this area who are without power.

This is going to be a VERY long term deal.

steven said...

i told my family about their being a million people without power in your community goldenrod and they were speechless. then i reminded them how long they've been without power and of all the little people and elderly people for whom that would not only be an inconvenience, not merely a hardship but life-threatening. i hope that the various government agencies involved in this effort do a better job than they did in new orleans.
steven

Goldenrod said...

It has taken me a while to respond to your comment, Steven. I apologize for the delay, but I find that if I focus on Ike and his aftermath for more than a minute or two, I can feel myself falling into a state of depression.

And so, I instead choose not to comment on it or write about it.

However, your comments have -- of themselves -- awakened in me a need to add this little bit.

Because I feel that you care and have a deep sense of concern, let me just add a couple or three things (if I may) ... ...

1) The federal response was swift. Lessons learned in Katrina were self-evident. However, the area affected was imMENSE!

2) Many local organizations, including ALL of the television stations, in partnership with various grocery stores and Coca Cola, etc., tried to fill some of the gaps.

3) The Navy has been involved in efforts to cleanup and rebuild Galveston's shores. Really, Steven, there is no WAY I can adequately describe the response that has materialized.

4) It's not enough. It will NEVER be enough! That's not to put anyone's efforts 'down' ... it's just to say that Ike's short-term (and probably long-term) effects have been quite devastating!

5) UTMB (University of Texas Medical Branch) Galveston is only ONE of those extremely hard-hit by Ike. They might be able to put some antiseptic and a bandaid on your "owee", but that's it. Anything more than that, they have to try and airlift you to the mainland.


May God add His blessings to you and yours, Steven. I thank you, from the very deepest parts of my soul, for your caring.

I'm almost sorry for responding like this, but I felt like you had a 'right to know'.

steven said...

one of the many features that draws me to your writing goldenrod is your forthright no nonsense approach to life. i am grateful that you chose to respond to my questions but i understand your reticence. our own community was seriously flooded out a few years back and my in-law's home was seriously damaged at that time. the after effects of that event are still felt and talked about around our community. in that way i can relate to some degree to what you have described. i am really pleased that there has been a more worthy response this time from the agencies involved - this is terrific news and heartening.
stay strong and positive.
steven