Wednesday, December 22, 2010

river snow

i'm really looking forward to the part of the holidays that begins this evening when i get to step away from my teaching and enjoy my family and friends. time to spend alone - perhaps and hopefully some time in the woods or even on my bicycle.

quiet time.


snow storm at hatakudari hasui kawase

a thousand hills,
but no birds in flight,
ten thousand paths,
with no people's tracks.

snow at mukajima hasui kawase


a lonely boat,
a straw-hatted old man,
fishing alone in the cold river snow.

all words liu zong-yuan


7 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Ahhh - time to recharge, relax, renew. You work so hard, Steven - I'm glad you get to take a much deserved break.

Love the paintings. Japanese painters really "get" water, including in its form as snow.

Tess Kincaid said...

Enjoy your quiet time. Merry Christmas to you and yours, Steven. xx

The Weaver of Grass said...

Gentle peaceful words Steven - have a good break and a lovely Christmas with your family. Love to you all at Christmas.

Valerianna said...

Wishing you a wonderful winter and plenty of quiet time this week.... thanks for all the inspiration and beauty this year. Abundant blessings, Valerianna

Linda Sue said...

The japanese prints are exquisite. I am sure that your holidays will be well spent, sending good cheer wishes your way!
I have a Chinese calligraphy poem done by a Chinese "master" about 30 years ago- I can not read it but it has something to do with snow, a man and a bird tracks.It must be about Steven...

hope said...

Then I'll just whisper my seasonal greetings toward your direction. :)

Merry Christmas to you and the ones you love.

R. Burnett Baker said...

Stay warm, even on your bike! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Rick