Monday, January 26, 2009

woven glass

goldenrod - one of my readers (hails from houston) - suggested that i might like to have a look and then share the lovely work of eric markow and thom norris with you. never heard of them? neither had i 'till she mentioned in a posting of her own that i might like to root around and dig up something on these boys. apparently they have sorted out an amazing challenge, how to make woven glass - woven glass - now there's a concept!

i searched around and found out that thom and eric run a studio that focuses exclusively on woven glass. their work is exquisite, really exquisite and begs to be touched! the story of how these men met and melded their thoughts into these magical beautiful works is best told in their own words:

""american artists eric markow and thom norris met in 1994. The two started collaborating on organically inspired stained glass window commissions for the next decade. over the years as glass flame work and glass fusing became more popular, markow & norris began several years of experimentation to develop handwoven glass.

they imagined an art form that seemed impossible to comprehend and even more impossible to create. inspired by the inexplicably complex framework of the natural world, markow & norris create enigmatically harmonious works of art.

each deceptively organic form requires extensive planning and flawless execution. the effect is tightly woven, vividly colorful and distinctive works, conceived with a marriage of science, art and alchemy. markow & norris live in falls church, virginia with their two parrots simon and sydney.
"

here they are starring in a tv profile . . .


Watch CBS Videos Online

and here are three of my favourite pieces . . .

ancient bamboo . . .



goldfish petal . . . gotta have something goldfishy 'round the house . . .



my absolute max out my visa and to heck with the kid's going to university favourite . . . hyacinth . . .



go here to find out lots more!

2 comments:

Goldenrod said...

Good morning, Steven! I changed up that section of my post, but you had already read it. You're still mentioned, but not quite so prominently. I decided to do just a bit of research myself - I hadn't done any! - that it really wasn't fair to put pressure on you. I didn't realize you'd already flown with it until I checked your blog not long ago. Fast work, fella!

Mind-blowing, huh? I tried to link that same video directly, but it wouldn't "take" for me.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Thought you would! I'd be hard-pressed to try and choose a favorite out of all of the pieces they've created. Just gorgeous stuff!

steven said...

hey goldenrod - there was no pressure felt - just a kindred spirit tickling my curiousity. i encourage my students to do that all the time and i do that for my friends. so there!! it was a good find and i really wish i knew what there stuff costs but to be honest, i think it's wayyyyyy outta my ballpark!!!!
steven