Thursday, March 8, 2012

undeniable necessity



there's an undeniable necessity for me to form and bend and twist my outer self around each new sense of myself and somehow this body, this heart, this mind listens and feels and knows to bend and reform and i'm entirely certain that underneath its twisting convoluted bone flexed skinshape there's something other that stays constant and attached to the roiling curling sinuous form that surrounds it . . . and represents it even in this world of light and colour and cost and value and wish and need . . . . and i love this namelessness . . this otherness . . this me but not me-ness that uses my earthly form, this representation of my self as a means to an end i couldn't possibly comprehend stretched as it is across this utter and thorough faceless and timeless completeness . . . .

10 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I think this is true of us all Steven - but we are not always able to put it into words. You have done so admirably.

aguja said...

The Weaver of Grass has put it succinctly - it is true of us all and you have put it into words ... at least, it is true of a creative mind, as I can only view from that perspective.

steven said...

thankyou weaver . . . i'm glad to speak for myself and perhaps tickle some resonance in others!!! steven

steven said...

aguja - i think everyone has access to the creative mind but not everyone chooses to let that energy pass through them as directly as others or in ways that might be apparent to others!!! s teven

Valerianna said...

Such mystery.... reminds me of the quote on the bottom of my emails... "The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery" Francis Bacon. I think we do so even as we try to untangle it.

steven said...

valerianna - you know, i think the mystery is deep . . . and the work of the artist is to get as much out of the way of the mystery as possible and to just let it be and find form in them. steven

erin said...

could it only be life begets life? could it only be that life has a somnambulistic pace all its own? and if this is so, isn't this yet holy?

xo
erin

steven said...

i place the holy entirely inside the otherness that surrounds itself with life . . . steven

ND Mitchell said...

Very nicely put. Your extraordinarily long sentence perfectly captures the idea that you're putting across!

steven said...

hey nd m, i'm glad that the form of the thinking didn't get in the way of the thinking about the form inside me . . . steven