Thursday, August 5, 2010

the fifty-fourth lap


today marks the end of my fifty-third transit 'round the sun. i was born that long ago. i was born at 8:30 pm. it was a monday. a holiday! (but not for my mum, who was in labour off-and-on with me for two days!)
thankyou for having me mum!

here are my mum and i a few weeks ago.

it's been a superb year filled with all the blessings and challenges of being a dad and a husband and a friend and a teacher and all the many things that i am and each of which i treasure for the gift that they are.


speaking of my family. here they are struggling to look comfortable
as i take a tourist shot of them.

my son has the right approach - ham it up!
my daughter dutifully leans in.
my wife hopes that it's a one-shot deal and we can move on!

in a wonderful year i'd have to say that
the africycle ride around lake ontario was one of the great accomplishments not only of the year,
but of my life so far.
i like how it points to so many other possibilities that i now believe i can realize.

so a big thumbs up to my africycle friends.


bringing goodness into the world to whatever degree i am capable
makes up much of my purpose for being here.
i am grateful for that realization above all else.

~

thankyou bloggy friends for your many kindnesses. your comments, your own blogs, your incredible and often transformative insights, passions, acknowledgement of life passages, and celebrations that have contributed towards making this point in my journey so amazing!

thankyou for all that you are and do.

as walt whitman says . . .

"you have done such good to me,
i would do the same to you."

have a peaceful day!

with my love

__________________________steven___________________________



20 comments:

Rachel Fenton said...

I think I have never clapped eyes on a happier looking bunch of people in all my life - and I am smiling for you all! Thank you, Steven, and happy birthday!

Elisabeth said...

Happy birthday, Steven. What a joy all those circuits round the sun. You are blessed indeed - a loving mother, wife, son and daughter. And you are so productive in work and play, and talented too.

You all exude happiness. Why not? It's your birthday.

Penny said...

Happy Birthday and may you have many more.

Delwyn said...

Hi Steven

Many many happy days to you on this special day and to your beautiful family as they enjoy and grow with you through this next year...

I have enjoyed your company, your insights and your generosity over this past year. Thank you

Happy days

Tess Kincaid said...

Happiest of Birthdays, dear friend!! You are blessed with such a beautiful family! Your lovely words and images give me much joy and peace. I raise my cup of tea and wish you many more wonderful years! (I'm right behind you on the 54th lap)

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Happy Birthday to you dear Steven. Thank you for all you give.

ellen abbott said...

Oh, happy birthday steven. The 50s are good years.

CiCi said...

Happy Birthday! Great photos of you with your mom and of your family.

Jenny Stevning said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEVEN!!! Yippy!!
The photos you shared are wonderful. You deserve the best!
(Side note: I can't wait for you to see signs of Fall and share the photos.)

Joanna said...

Your post shines with the joy of life and I hope you have a wonderful birthday. Best wishes to you and your lovely family. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, insights and art with us this year.

Reya Mellicker said...

Many many happiest returns of the day and the year. I am so happy you were born and have stuck around to help all of us with your wisdom, joy and beautiful poetry (words and images).

Your hair grew back in nicely since the shave. I guess that was awhile ago.

Love seeing pics of you! xx & love and Shalom.

Valerianna said...

Woooie- happy birthday!! Lovely post, I enjoyed seeing the personalities caught in the family photo.. your daughter looks really sweet leaning in like that. I love girls at that age.... ah, well, I love everyone in all the various moments of life, really...

Hope you have a great day and thanks for all the inspiration you bring...
blessings,
Valerianna

Linda Sue said...

THANK YOU so much for your delightful, deep, sincere, lovely all 'round blog. Your wisdom and sense of humour astounds... like finding The goose/golden egg thing- you give and give and it's all so valuable- I am richer, thank you! Happy day- glad you managed to get born after horrendous labor- glad you did not decide to go back before you made it out of the shoot.Beautiful family!

Aleks said...

☼♫♫♪ ♪ ☼♫♫☼♫♫♫ ♫ ♪♪ ♪ ♪ ♪♪ ♪ ♪ ♫*♫♪ ♪♪ ♪ ♪ ♫♫
Congratulations Steven!
๑۩۞۩๑๑۩۞۩๑ ๑۩۞۩๑๑۩۞۩๑๑۩۞۩๑๑۩۞۩๑

hope said...

Happy Birthday! Yes Mr. "Monday's Child" you are fair of face and the faces of your loved ones look so happy to have you around.

May the year continue to spin you in fun directions, filled with poetry, paintings, pictures, words and love.

Noelle Clearwater said...

Many happy returns of the day Steven. You have a lovely family and I am glad that you are surrounded by people who care about you so much. thank you for your poetry, paintings, words and insights. I so enjoy your blog!
Peace and Light,
Noelle

Kay said...

Happy Birthday Steven...what a beautiful family you have...xx

Golden West said...

Wishing you many happy returns of the day. Love seeing your happy family! It truly is a wonderful life!

Annie said...

Happy Birthday! Your post made me smile, and feel the goodness in you, and in your life! You have a wonderful family. Thank you for sharing so much.

Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

A wonderful birthday to you Steven. A bit late as I am travelling and doing some blog catching up, but nonetheless heartfelt. So you are a bit older and wiser than me, my friend, I will turn 54 in two months.