Saturday, July 11, 2009

just visiting

plants fill my home. each has a special place for me as i tend to them each week. water, food, sometimes moved into the sunlight, sometimes taken outside. each is a small treasure. it helps clean the air of this house, provides colour at times when there is not much colour to be seen, and softens the space. the japanese poet basho knew of their value when he wrote . . .

for a lovely bowl
let us arrange these
flowers...
since there is no rice


basho


coleus are native to tropical africa, asia, australia, the east indies, the malay archipelago, and the philippines. i can't remember a time when there hasn't been one somewhere in my home. what a lucky person!!

the one in the picture above is enjoying summer on my deck. far from its ancestor's home. but very welcome!!!

6 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

Indoor plants adorn our home as well. They are welcome housemates.

Delwyn said...

Hi Steven

A lovely Basho I have not read for beautiful plants...
thank you

Happy days

steven said...

hi dan, i love to care for them especially through the winter months when they offer greenery in anotherwise white landscape. our home is filled with them. i'm waiting for my children to decide that they (like both their parents) also want to take care of plants. have a peaceful day. steven

steven said...

hi delwyn, it's such a simple poem but it really describes the value and place of flowers in a simple person's life. a sort of food for the soul when there is no food for the tummy. have a peaceful day. steven

willow said...

Your coleus is beautiful. I love the drama of the crimson leaves. I'm surrounded by plants inside and on my patio as well. I guess it's safe to say I have a green thumb.

I adore the brilliant collage on my guest book!! Thank you. :^)

steven said...

hi willow, i have always loved coleus. for as long as i can remember there's been one somewhere in my life. this one has such deep crimson leaves and the pale green edging really makes them stand out for me. thanks also for the compliment about the warhol collage i dropped on your guestbook. i was two or three belgian trappist beers into an afternoon when that was taken!!!!! i'm glad you liked it!! have a peaceful day, steven