Tuesday, August 28, 2007

starry child of earth



today's post might be wobbly because i am dribbling uncontrollably,unfocussed and tired through having stayed up late wandering the house, listening to music, reading and searching through heaps of stuff - mostly junk - for an old piece of paper. i've been cleaning up a lot of the past physically and metaphorically, and in the process have stirred up some really old stuff that was sort of forgotten and then i've also been experiencing that "oh yeahhhh" thing when something that I'd "forgotten but not really forgotten" peers out of the murky haze of old spider webs and dust bunnies and says "hey look at me, read me, listen to me, feel me again". for example. a few years ago i collected together some of my favourite poems - none by me by the way - and stuck them all together into a sort of pretty collection. last night on my meanderings i came across the collection and it's got some lovely writing and pictures in it. today i'll share a deconstruction of a pablo neruda poem. what i did was take apart the phrases in the poem that excited me or that i thought connected together - pablo neruda - ha! if he knew that i was doing this he'd probably not be too happy!!! so anyhow, when i reassembled the pieces i had no one person in mind but i did have an idea that goes back a long way in my life to the sort of people i would wish to fill my day.

starry child
of earth,
soft
as lascivious velvet,
spiral-seashelled
and full of wonder;
your
glorious
spring dress
bursts through the earth like a plant,
walls crumble,
a song is born,
as light
illuminates the senses;
translucency,
a chorus of discipline,
an abundance of flowers.

(Pablo Neruda deconstruction)

the fossil fish image is here because there's a sort of fish theme in the beginning of this blog and i'll carry it for as long as it needs. fossil fish appeal to me simply because they keep their form to a greater degree than other fossilized remains. i like the little details that are still visible like the mouth, the tiny bones, the fins, the tail. it amazes me that there is a stony record of something as fragile as a fish from so very long ago. to me that's magic.

No comments: